Trans Awareness Week
What is Trans Awareness Week?
Trans Awareness Week is recognized in Canada and around the globe from November 13th to 19th — the week before Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20th. It is a time to celebrate the spirit and resilience of the transgender community and foreground their ongoing struggle for freedom.
What is Transgender Day of Remembrance?
November 20th is Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day to honour the memory of transgender and gender-diverse people whose lives were lost to anti-transgender violence during the year.
How to Recognize Trans Awareness Week
- Learn more about the challenges facing the transgender community.
- Attend or organize a vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance.
- Support transgender creators by watching their films, listening to their podcasts, and streaming their music.
- Explore transgender history in Canada.
- Commit to fighting transphobia in all forms and manifestations.
Resources for Further Learning
- Over the Rainbow: an e-course celebrating gender and sexual diversity.
- The Skipping Stone Foundation: resources for transgender folks, their parents, and their partners.
- Tips for allies: how to be a better ally to transgender people.
- Services for transgender folks in canada.
- The history of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights in canada.
- 11 movies that explore the stories of transgender people.